Saturday, August 23, 2008

Shout out to my homy

The stress only escalated from the time of the previous post. I was frantically trying to fix my room and I was at the point where I didn't know what to do because so much needed to be done - you know what I'm saying? And there was interruption after interruption and I was hustling from faculty meeting to department meeting to 'level meeting' and then I had to go to a deaf-ed meeting b/c I have 2 hearing-impaired kids and then I was called downstairs to take my picture for my temporary id because the picture I had to go downstairs for earlier in the week was for my PERMANENT id and it won't be here before Monday. And this was all on Friday!!!

So I am finally back upstairs after there was an equipment malfunction with the id machine and they said, "We'll call y'all back down in a minute." I am ready to scream. 5 minutes after I get back upstairs my cellphone rings and it's Stan. Bless his heart. He asked me how things were going and I know him well enough to snap at him. Don't know those Consol people that well yet. So after I said I was trying to get stuff done but people kept INTERRUPTING me, he said that he had gotten Caden dressed (they stayed home together on Friday b/c Caden was sick with a fever) and they were going to come help me in my room.

Blessed peace. Right as I was getting off the phone with him, I heard the announcement to go back downstairs for pictures. When I got to the front of the line, Stan still wasn't there so I traded places with a friend at the back of the line, thinking I would be through it before Stan got there. Well I was, but I didn't know we had to sit around and wait for them, but another friend said she would pick mine up for me and put it in my mailbox.

So we go upstairs and Stan asks what I need him to do for me. The man got to work. He put my stackable trays together ( a harder feat than it sounds like), he then put my rails together for my file cabinet (turns out I don't need them, but a sweet first year teacher wants them so that's my good deed for the day!). He then helped hang all of my posters. And the best part? Caden was a DREAM the whole time - all 2 hours! He played and he helped pick stuff up. He was so sweet!

When we realized we couldn't push our luck with Caden too much longer, we went to eat and Stan suggested I go back and get all of my work done (stuff he couldn't help me with) that night so I could enjoy my last weekend.

I thought that was a good idea so I went back and worked. And worked. And worked some more. I looked at the clock and it was 11pm. Scary time to be in a big school all by myself. I gathered up my stuff...saw the scissors sitting on my desk...and I grabbed them. I took off down the hall in full stealth mode - nobody was sneaking up on me. I saw the doors to the cut-through stairs and as I went through, the doors closed back and it got pitch black dark in the stairwell. No thank you, I've seen enough scary movies to know THAT'S a bad idea. I took the long way, all the while holding my scissors in full attack mode.

Safe inside my car, I relaxed and enjoyed my EIGHT MINUTE commute back to my house.

A girl can never be too careful...

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Bless your sweet heart! Reading this post I'm feeling I could have written it myself. After 6 days of staff development and a room that was a big old mess- I was ready to pull my hair out. I'm so glad you got everything done and hope you have a super relaxing Sunday!

brickmomma said...

I can just hear you telling the scissor/stealth story!

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!

momofnolens said...

Did you survive the first day? Ours was pretty calm over here at the elementary, but who knows what is waiting for me tomorrow! My room is still not quite right because they have to install the smart board. I don't know what size it is, so I can't put up my "stuff." Good excuse don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Yay for an 8 minute commute and a sweet hubby! I hope you had a great first day and a super year.

Natalia said...

Off topic - I can't remember when or why I read your post about Juniper Breeze, but strangely enough it popped straight into my mind when I saw a clone at a homemade soap site, so I had to google your post! It might be worth a try!

http://www.mystifyyoursenses.com/mystify11.htm It's the rainbow bar about halfway down. Have a great week!