Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tis the season

Tis the season for all the cute photo Christmas cards. And I'm happy about that; I really am. But I would like to point out a few rules of grammar that many people have forgotten. In case you missed the rantings post, I'll cover them again.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use an apostrophe to form a plural of your last name.

Example - Merry Christmas from the Smiths is correct.
Merry Christmas from the Smith's is not!!!!!!

I realize that it's ridiculous that it gets on my nerves this much, but I think it's ridiculous how many times on a daily basis I run into educated people who don't know this rule.

If your name ends in an -s, as mine does, you have 2 options:
Merry Christmas from the Aalbers family
Merry Christmas from the Aalberses

So as you design your cards from Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or any other place, please keep these rules in mind. And please note, that a grammatically incorrect Christmas card will not find its way onto the Aalbers' (see how I showed possession by ALL of the Aalberses?) fridge.

2 comments:

Laura Brittain said...

Preach it! The plural thing drives me crazy, too.

brickmomma said...

say it again, sister!